In today’s economic climate, it comes as no surprise that you might want to tighten your purse strings a bit…but just because you’re pinching a few pennies doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice your beauty. And as it turns out, you don’t have to dish out the big bucks at the most expensive makeup counters in order to get products to maintain your gorgeous self either…you will find the ingredients you need waiting for you at your neighborhood grocer’s…or maybe they are already in your kitchen!
With these following at home skin care tricks for the cash-conscious gal, you can save money and still indulge in the pampering you deserve:
Exfoliate. Exfoliating is an essential part of any good skin care routine that should be used regularly to remove dead skin cells, toxins and other deposits on your skin that could lead to a dull or blemish ridden complexion. Here’s how to whip up your own sugar/salt exfoliating wash:
- Simply pour ¼ cup of either sugar or table salt into a small container and then mix in enough olive oil to blend the ingredients together. Stir the mixture, rub it on your skin using circular motions, rinse thoroughly…and voila: smooth, rejuvenated skin!
Cleanse. It is important to wash your skin twice a day to maintain its health and protect in the fight against blemishes and aging. To keep your face clean without breaking the bank you can make cleansing masks at home:
- Mix plain yogurt with honey, apply to your face for 10 minutes and then wash off with warm water.
- Another great mask is achieved by beating one egg yolk until frothy then adding ½ cup of both milk and a mashed avocado. Mix until it is the consistency of a lotion, let sit on your face for 10 minutes and rinse.
Moisturize. To keep your skin looking young and healthy, you’ve got to make sure it stays soft and smooth by hydrating it properly. To do this, it is crucial that you moisturize daily. For girls trying to save a buck or two and making their own moisturizer at home comes the added benefit of allowing which natural ingredients are included—this is helpful in avoiding irritation that can be caused by harsh products found on store shelves. Here are some at-home moisturizing tricks:
- Moisturizing exfoliation mask: You will need 1/3 cup of oatmeal, 2 tablespoons honey, 2 tablespoons plain yogurt, one egg white and ½ cup of hot water. Mix the water and oatmeal, then allow to cool and thicken while you mix the remaining ingredients with a mixer. Combine both and apply the mixture to your face. Leave on for 15 minutes and rinse with warm water to reveal softer skin.
- You can also squeeze a small, dime-sized drop of honey into your palms and mix with your regular face wash to give yourself a deep-moisture treatment!
Tighten. We all want the kind of skin that looks airbrushed like the models right off the pages of a fashion magazine. Luckily you can achieve similar results without scheduling an appointment with a plastic surgeon. Here’s how:
- Whip two chilled egg whites and then slowly add 1/8 teaspoon of cornstarch. Apply the mask to your face and rinse off after 20 minutes.
- If your eyes are tired and puffy, there is a way to tighten those as well. Steep two chamomile tea bags in warm water, then place in the fridge to cool. Squeeze excess liquid from the tea bags and place over your eyes for 5 minutes.