While most of us probably boast a bursting makeup bag, the truth is you’re likely to find there are quite a few bits and pieces in there that don’t need to be. There’s nothing wrong with having an extensive makeup collection – there’s nothing like having just the right shade of lipstick to match your favorite party dress – but you don’t always need to be weighed down by your assortment of products. Sometimes, you need to be able to strip back your makeup collection, leaving you feel light and refreshed – as well as ready to travel light!
My top five essentials for all of your makeup needs are:
- Moisturizer (with sunscreen). Ok, so moisturizer isn’t makeup exactly, but it’s an essential addition to any make up bag. Make sure your foundation and powder sit naturally and don’t highlight dry skin by slathering on some moisturizer first. You can also use moisturizer to tame your eyebrows and soften chapped lips, and if you choose one with sunscreen, you’ll know you’re protecting your skin from the damaging effects of the sun too!
- Tinted lip gloss. I will always love red lipstick, but I have to admit that tinted lip gloss is a far more practical day to day solution. There are situations where red lippy will not be socially acceptable, tinted lip gloss on the other hand, is the perfect way to sooth dry lips and add a little splash of understated glamour. I keep at least one tinted gloss on my person at any one time.
- Face powder. Getting rid of a shiny forehead or nose is one of my top priorities when it comes to makeup, and face powder is my perfect partner in crime for killing that shine. Applied after moisturizer, face powder can be used as a lighter alternative to foundation and is great for concealing blemishes.
- Mascara. There’s nothing like mascara for giving your eyes a bit of a boost, and the best thing about it is the fact it’s so unobtrusive. Slicking on a little mascara helps make you feel good about yourself, even when the effect is subtle and natural. And if you’re looking for something a little bolder, all you have to do is layer on a few more coats.
- An eyeshadow compact. Choose a small compact with a variety of colors and its own applicator, and you’ll be ready to roll no matter what life throws your way. If you can find one with black or dark brown as well as another color, you’ll find you can use one to stand in for eyeliner and the other to add some color to your lid. Perfect for a quick pick me up.
When you choose your essentials, make sure you buy them from brands you can trust. Bobbi Brown makeup is great for a natural look and MAC is perfect for those who like a little glamour. Whittle down your makeup bag while still making sure you have all the bases covered with the help of my top essentials.
Jennifer Adams is a part of the digital blogging team at shoutingindigital.com who write about subjects like Bobbi Brown on behalf of a growing number of retail brands. To keep up to date with the latest in shopping and retail news, check out my posts at Shouting in Digital or visit my Twitter account, @shoutingid.